Sunday, June 6, 2010

Delica Diaries Part II

Delica Diaries Part II


Desire' the Desert Delica is parked at the Broome Airport waiting for the new desert pilots to arrive for the second leg of her journey to Darwin. Across the country I am frantically clearing the decks before I meet Marilu in the tail end of a severe storm to get the train from the Opera House to the domestic terminal, its been raining for a week. Lu will be great Navigator, I see her on the platform - backpack, computer ( which I need for this missive ) and Camera all slung around her shoulders and wearing what I love most that big smile. We look at the departure list as the flights are being cancelled but Jetstar to Perth makes the cut and we are off.

We arrive in Perth at 12 pm - Ok Navigator talk to me, just find Afflick Street she says looking at the map as she turns green because like most females of the species she cannot drive in the car and look down. We decide to phone Mel and Toff ( two orphans that have relocated to Perth with whom we are staying ) No problem says Toff just follow Highway 2 until you get to the Scarborough turnoff - in his characteristic French accent-

In the background I hear Mel say "Cedric Street" no no Scarborough says Toff - he clearly knows what he is doing

1.5 hours later on Highway 2 the name "Jundaloop" appears on the signboard - Marilu asks , musing at the map have you passéd Cedric Street ? the coincidence is too great - we phone Toff. Jundaloop ?? you are halfway up the coast !! turn around come back, turns out there is no Scarborough turn off. We find them with a welcome cup of coffee at 3 am. Great to see our orphans are settled and happy.

Next day off to Broome. Quaint is not the word. I did not think that there was such a thing as Outback architecture - wrong - its airy, tin shackie, tropical , simplistic, warm and friendly. The airport is like the old days Marilu says, everybody is happy here, not a suit or briefcase in sight, people hugging an kissing and squealing with happiness to see friends and family.

Where is she Marilu asks ? I gaze across the carpark - yellow fuel cans and spare tire on the roof give her away. Will she start Marilu says ? I read Nic's instructions "Click the engine over twice" I turn the key click, click she goes, and that diesel engine purrs into life - heya sweet cheeks I am Desire the Desert Delica where are we going ? We pull up at the hotel. There is a crowd outside. Zoe has drawn a map of the trip on the car in chalk. They start at Sydney and walk around the car - looking at the pictures drawings of crocodiles and camels and names of places you cant pronounce called Oodnadatta - this is fantastic , what a brilliant idea they say, looking at me expectantly, yeah I say in my best Australian drawl - it been a long drive from Sydney.

2 comments:

  1. Hey hey ! Thanks Martin to not have (too much) pointed out how bad I was for giving you the directions :-).

    I still have some pics of you swimming in the Indian Ocean !

    Miss you, Enjoy your trip and your south-african brekkies !

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow-- what a trip!
    spectacular photos-- well done guys.
    Gonna have to do that trip oneday..
    Rob and Mel

    ReplyDelete